Sunday, June 7, 2009

2009 Dance Recital

Well, we survived the dance recital. Well, almost. Audrey had a ballet routine and a tap routine. For some reason, the tap routine was after intermission (about the 10th dance after intermission). I guess "the powers that be" were really not thinking because it is a class of 4 and 5 year old kids! So, she did great in the ballet routine. They were angels and were precious. The following picture was taken at Thursday's dress rehearsal. Isn't she precious?!


So, on recital night, my mom and I go to check on Audrey backstage. The poor thing (along with others) was melting down. Intermission was not until 9:00 so that meant her next routine would not be until around 10:00 AT NIGHT! She was exhausted, hungry and HAD IT! She was begging me to go home. I was so torn. I wanted to take her home, but I was worried that she would regret it later and I was worried that I was setting a precedence that it is okay to not follow through with her commitments (my parents were VERY big on this). In the end, her tears won out and we left. So far, she doesn't regret it one bit. The tap costume is so cute! I took her picture in it Friday afternoon. She is so sassy sometimes! It was a little weird putting make-up on her, but those were the strict orders from you know who, "the powers that be".
We had the option of having their pictures taken at the civic center, but they were done at 8:00 on Thursday morning and I just didn't think she would have made it with the LONG dress rehearsal after that. So, my friend Erin and I had Allison (Picture This) take Audrey and Mia's picture Friday afternoon. I can't wait to see how they turn out.
I know I am being negative, but I am not sure I want to go through all this again!! I really want her to be interested in gymnastics or swim or soccer...anything that does not involve a recital!!

6 comments:

Ann Miller said...

i am sure you have ruined her career as a dancer!! well, i guess she will find another occupation to support her momma and daddy in their old age!! LOVED seeing y'all this weekend!

Lora said...

I have heard HORROR Stories about dance recitals for as long as I have had children. My advice-NO to gymnastics (LONG meets-several times a year as in all day), no to swimming (LONG MEETS in the hot sun), soccer-could be a possibility-not familiar enough with it. Why not just stay home and enjoy being a kid? MISSED you and Miss Abbey at the party!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I don't blame you- I had to attend that dance recital a time or two and it is SO LONG! Isn't there another way to do it so that you don't have to be there 5 hours??

Lori said...

Ok that is crazy to keep those kids up past 10 pm! I would have left too! But she did look precious!

Hannah Lee said...

Jackson was looking at these pictures with me tonight and all he kept saying was, "Prettyyy." HAHA! And he is soo right! Sorry to hear about the meltdowns. Who plans recitals so late...honestly. THey need to revamp that system.

Deb said...

I have a thing about dance recitals....I went to the one at Howard for years. I probably would have gone, but I was out of town. As per usual your girls are adorable!